We are still in the mood of Chinese New Year Celebrations. Every year Oranges are flooded in the market. Oranges are exchanged whenever you wish and greet anyone. That is such a lovely gesture.
This week for our 182nd #Foodiemonday #Bloghop theme #Downmemorylane was suggested by our blogger friend Swati who blogs at https://www.foodtrails25.com . Check out her wonderful blog for some amazing recipes.Thank you Swati for the wonderful theme.
My Humble contribution for this week’s theme is Orange Peel Gojju that i learnt from my mom and is always very close to my heart. It makes me nostalgic everytime I make it.Me and my brother used to have a competition to have it. Since oranges are in abundance I decided to make this hot and sweet recipe.
- Tamrind (Size of 1 Lemon)
- Orange Peel (of 1 big Orange)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- A Pinch of Hing
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera Methi Powder / Cumin and Fenugreek Powder
- 1 Tsp Rasam Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Urad dal
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- Soak tamrind for about 15 -20 mins. Grind grated coconut, soaked tamrind and green chillies to get a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat a wide bottom pan. Add oil. Once the oil is hot add channa dal, urad dal.Once it turns slightly brown add mustard seeds and dry red chillies. Once it splutters add the evenly cut orange peel and shallow fry for about 1-2 mins. Once done add the coconut paste, one glass of water , salt and jaggery. Allow it to simmer for about 3-4 mins.
- Lastly add jeera methi powder and mix well. Garnish with fresh curry leaves and serve hot with Ragi Mudde , Hot Rice,phulkas.