Today’s recipe is about a quick and easy side dish for Roti and chapati. Goes well with rice too. At times ,we are bored of our regular curries , but want to relish some delicious side dish, then Tomato Onion Coriander curry is one such recipe. It is ready in just 20 minutes. This is my go to recipe on busy weeknights. Do try and I promise even the fussy eaters will love it.
What is a curry ?
Curry is a side dish which is seasoned with spices and vegetables , meat or Cottage cheese. This is a very popular dish from the Indian Subcontinent. The preparation and spices vary from region to region. Curries usually contain fish, meat, poultry, or seafood either alone or combined with vegetables. Dry curry is always cooked using small quantity of liquid, which evaporates and leaving the other ingredients well coated with the spice mixture. Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy based on broth, coconut cream or coconut milk, dairy cream or yogurt, or legume puree, sauteed crushed onion, or tomato puree.
Main Ingredients for Tomato Onion Coriander Curry :
- Red Tomatoes
- Red Onions
- Fresh Coriander
- Green chilli
- Garam Masala
- Red Chilli Powder
- Mango Powder
- Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder
- Black Pepper
- Black Sesame Seeds
TOMATO ONION CORIANDER CURRY
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 4 Nos Large Red Tomatoes
- 2 Nos Medium size Red Onions
- 1 Cup Finely chopped Fresh Coriander
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger
- 4 Nos Green Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 3/4 Tsp Black Sesame seeds
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumin
- 3 Tsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Amchur Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coconut Sugar
- 8 Nos Curry Leaves
- Dry roast black pepper and black sesame seeds for a few seconds
- Make a fine paste of fresh coriander , roasted black pepper, roasted black sesame seeds ,fresh ginger and green chillies and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan . Add jeera / cumin seeds.
- Now add the finely chopped onions, curry leaves and roast until golden brown.
- Using a vegetable chopper , finley chop the tomatoes . Add the chopped tomatoes and 1 cup water to the roated onions.
- Add the corinader ,ginger spice mix . Mix well.
- Next add salt , chilli powder ,cumin powder , garam masala , amchur powder .
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lastly add coconut sugar , give it a mix and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with Roti , phulka or Rice.
- Green chilli used here is very mildly spicy.
- Adjust the chilli powder as per your spice tolerance
- Use Ripe but firm red tomatoes .
- Use red onions only .
- You can add garlic if you wish . I did not have them hence not added.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.