Bengali Cuisine :The moment you hear bengali cuisine , rasgulla comes to my mind. There are varieties of delicious milk based sweets . Each one has its own distinctive taste. There is an emphasis on fish, meat, vegetables, and lentils with rice as a staple. Bengal has been famous for its food since ages.
Some facts about Dhokar Dalna:
- The word ‘dhoka’ means ‘betrayal’, so this dish is common on days when families eat a vegetarian fare. They trick themselves into believing the lentil cake, made flavorful with spices, coconut, peanuts, etc., is actually meat.
- It is a no onion no garlic dish.
- Dhokar Dalna is a typical Bengali treat.
- Soaked Bengal gram is ground coarsely with spices, dry roasted into a paste, then cut into diamonds and fried. This is the dhoka.
- This can be served as a snack with Tea.
- It can be served with rich gingery gravy too.
DHOKAR DALNA (DURGA PUJA SPECIAL)
Popular delicacy from the Bengali Cuisine during Durga Puja
- Wide Bottom Pan
- Pan for Frying
For Dhoka /Lentil Cake
- 1 Cup Split Bengal Gram / Chana Dal
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated Coconut
- 2 Inch Fresh Ginger chopped
- 4 Nos Green Chillies
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1.5 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Roughly Crushed Roasted peanuts
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Any Odorless Oil for greasing +Shallow frying
- 2 Nos Potatoes cut into 1 Inch Cubes
- 2 Tbsp Mustrad Oil
- 1 No Bay Leaf
- 4 No Cloves
- 3 No Green Cardamom
- 2 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 No Tomatoes cut into 1 Inch cubes
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 3/4 Tsp Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder / Dhania Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander Finely Chopped
For Dhoka / Lentil Cake:
- Soak Channa dal for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Blend soaked channa dal , green chillies , ginger , salt and 1/4 cup of water to a fine paste.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add freshly grated coconut and roast till it turns colour.
- Now add the ground chana dal mixture and mix well.
- Add cumin powder , turmeric , salt , sugar ,roasted peanuts and hing and give it a nice mix for about 2 minutes
- Turn of the heat and transfer the mixture to a greased plate. Flatten the top and set aside to cool completely.
- Cut into diamond shape and carefully demould. Dhokar is now ready.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to shallow fry the dhokar. Slowly shallow fry them in batches untill all the sides are nice and golden brown.
- Transfer them on to a kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Heat Mustard oil in a pan .
- Add cloves, green cardamoms ,cinnamon stick and bay leaf and saute for a few seconds
- Now add potato cubes and roast until they are nice golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and salt and mix well. Now add ginger paste,chilli powder , cumin powder, coriander powder ,and garam masala and mix well.
- Add about 1.5 cups of water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shallow fried dhokar to the gravy .
- Now add sugar and ghee and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander and serve .
- You can make dhokar in advance and deep freeze it.
- You can adjust the chillies as per your spice tolerance
- Have patience when you cut the dhokar and de mould it.
- Mustard oil is a must in this recipe. I have used sunflower oil for frying the dhokar.