Today I am sharing a very Interesting recipe from the Tamilnadu Cuisine. This curry works wonders when we are bored of our regular curries or there are no vegetables. It is is very easy to make with basic ingredients in your pantry. Compared to the regular vatha kuzhambu this Appalam Vatha Kuzhambu / Papad in Tamrind gravy is unique and lip smacking. This is a spicy and tangy curry loved by my family. We do make regular vatha kuzhambu but this Appalam Vatha Kuzhambu was new to me. I came accross this recipe recently.
Some Facts about Vatha Kuzhambu:
Vatha Kuzhambu is a very usually simple tangy and delicious gravy made with small onions / bhindi /pumpkin/ drumstick / Sudakkai / Manathangalikkai/Thamra kazhangu etc cooked in tamarind water . It is spiced with basic spice ingredients like sambar powder, turmeric powder , asafoetida etc.It basically derives it tastes from the vegetable/vathal which its cooked in. We like it spicy. Now I have tried Appalam Vatha Kuzhambu / Papad in Tamrind Gravy and just loved it.
APPALAM VATHA KUZHAMBU / PAPAD IN TAMRIND GRAVY
- 1 Wok / Kadai
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Tsp Dhania Powder / Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Toor Dal
- 1 Tsp Channa Dal
- 2 Nos Dry red Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 10 Nos Fresh Curry Leaves
- 3 Nos Microwaved or fried Appalam / Papad
- 1 Cup Tamrind Juice
- 1 Tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Gingelly Oil / any cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Jaggery Powder
- Soak tamrind for about 10 minutes to squeeze the pulp.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds . Once it splutters add channadal , toor dal ,dry red chillies,turmeric, curry leaves and asafoetida ands saute.
- Next add sambar powder, red chilli powder, dhania powderand saute on low flame until you get the aroma. Ensure not to burn the spices.
- Add the squeezed tamrind pulp , jaggery powder and 1/2 cup of water , salt to taste. Mix well and allow it to boil .
- Once the mixture is reduced to 3/4th quantity . Turn off the heat.
- Add microwaved or fried papads just before serving .
- Microwave or deep fry the papad . Do not roast it directly on flame as it will turn black and the taste goes for a toss.
- Always add papad just before serving the gravy.
- Best served with Rice and Ghee.
- Add salt at a later stage as saltiness increases when the Tamrind extract reduces on boiling.
DHANIYA KUZHAMBU / MALLI KUZHAMBU
VEPPAM POO KONDA KADALAI KUZHAMBU / CURRY
This recipe is inspired from Priya Vijaykrishnan’s Recipe.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
3 thoughts on “APPALAM VATHA KUZHAMBU / PAPAD IN TAMRIND GRAVY”
Appalam Vattalkozhambu is a huge favourite of mine. Love it with some hot rice, ghee and a side of plain cooked toor dal. You have presented the recipe so beautifully!
this vathakuzhambu is hubby’s favourite, and is relished with some thuppa, anna and thovve all mixed up ! delish !
Appalam vathakuzhambu is a perfect comfort food especially after an exhaustive travel or festive binge eating . It’s a huge favorite at home. Glad that your family liked it too..thanks for the mention 🙂
Appalam vatha kuzhambu sounds so very delicious and it will be loved by the girls. Thanks, Preethi I am listing out what I can make for them and this is perfect.
Appalam vatha kuzhambu sounds so very delicious and it will be loved by the girls. Thanks, Preethi I am listing out what I can make for them and this is perfect
Vatha Kuzhambu sounds tasty and ideal to make wjhen we are bored of the usual food. It is similar to our gojju but addition ofappalam is interesting.I must try this one. Thanks for sharing Preethi.