Today I am here with a easy and delicious curry recipe. Lobia Masala / Black eyed Peas Curry makes a lip smacking curry .Its whipped up with easily available ingredients in our pantry. A perfect accompaniment with any flatbread or rice. Trust me , you will love it .Good idea to include beans and legumes in our diet .
What is Lobia / Black Eyes Peas?
Black eyed pea is a oval shaped bean with black eyes. It is popularly used in many cuisines worldwide. Lobia is a super bean with many health benefits. Black eyed Peas is rich in Iron ,Protein and Folate. Black eyed peas are known to aid weight loss and also known to be good for diabetics. It is a super food for the tummy.It is low in glycemix Index. You can make a variety of recipes like salads , curry ,dry subzi . It is a Super food that is good for health.
This recipe is my humble contribution for the A TO Z Recipe Challenge season 2 . This month was letter L and hence Lobia Masala / Black Eyed Peas is my contribution this month.
LOBIA MASALA / BLACK EYED PEAS CURRY
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 2 Heavy Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Cup Boiled Lobia / Black eyed peas
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Nos Green Chillies finely chopped
- 6 Nos Garlic finely minced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree(Home made)
- 1 Cup Milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Tikka Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Jeera / Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Finely chopped fresh Coriander
- 1 Tsp Jeera / Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp Ajwain / Carom seeds
- 2 Tsp Oil
- Soak the black eyed peas / lobia for 2 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked black eyed peas / lobia , 2 cups of water and a pinch of turmeric. Pressure cook upto 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released , open the lid .It should be soft and mashable.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add jeera and ajwain. Add chopped green chilli, finely chopped ginger and minced garlic and saute for a few seconds until you get the aroma.
- Add kashmiri chilli powder , jeera powder ,garam masala , tikka masala and mix well until the masala is nicely cooked and oil starts to leave the sides.
- Now add the tomato puree . Cook until the raw smell is gone for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add boiled lobia / black eyed peas and salt Mix well. Let is simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk and keep stirring continuously on low flame for 3 minutes.
- The gravy starts to thicken .
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with fresh coriander .
- Serve with any flatbread or rice.
- Adding carom seeds or ajwain gives a nice taste to the curry. Do not Skip it.
- If you don’t have tikka masala you can skip it.
- You can 1/2 Tsp Coarse garam masala and 1/2 tsp Fine garam masala if you wish to. I have only added fine garam masala as my family loves it that way.
- You can boil the black eyes peas in advance and then making this curry is super quick
- Add the chilli powder and green chilli as per your spice tolerance.
- Green chilli used here is mildly spicy.
Another recipe with Lobia / Black eyed peas
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.