Christmas is round the corner. If you are still looking for some amazing sides to treat your family and friends , then you are at the right place. Vegan Tempeh Wings is super tempting . It is super addictive and easy to make. They are golden brown on the outside , firm but tender inside. It is sweet , spicy ,sticky and damn amazing. It is absolutely bursting with flavors.
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is traditional javanese food made from fermented Soyabeans. By naturally culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soyabeans into a firm cake , Tempeh is made. It is rich in proteins and is very popular in this region. It has a nice earthy flavor which is enhanced as it ages. Tempeh originated in Indonesia. I have used organic Tempeh with white soya beans here. Tempeh Goreng , Tempeh Bacem , Tempeh Mendoan, Tempeh Kering ,Tempeh Penyet are some of the popular recipes. I love Tempeh goreng and Vegan Tempeh Wings with this amazing sauce.
VEGAN TEMPEH WINGS
- Baking Tray
- Wide Bottom Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 250 Grams Tempeh
- 2 Tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Sri Racha Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 No Sliced Green Chilli / Jalapeno
- 1/2 Tsp Roasted White Sesame seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Black Sesame Seeds
- Slice the tempeh cake into large slices amd place them in a mixing bowl.
- Marinate the tempeh with pineapple juice , rice wine vinegar and soya sauce.
- Soak the tempeh for 30 minutes and keep keep tossing them in between so that each piece is nicely marinated.
- Pre heat the oven at 180C. Spray the baking tray with non stick spray or grease the tray.
- Please the marinated tempeh pieces in the baking tray.
- Bake it for 15 minutes. The tempeh starts to get brown and crisp on the outside.
- Flip the side and let it bake for another 15 minutes until the tempeh is browned on all sides and nice and firm.
- While the tempeh is baking let us prepare the sauce.
- Combine all the ingredients for sauce in a wide bottom pan . Whisk until the corn starch is fully dissolved.
- Place the pan on medium heat and whisk until it starts to simmer. After 4 minutes turn off the heat.
- Once the wings are done , toss them in the sauce until nicely coated.
- Bake them for another 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with extra sauce , green chilli , roasted sesame seeds or spring onion and serve immediately.
- Always use fresh Tempeh for better results.
- Prefer Organic variety
- You can marinate with any sauce of your choice.
- Garnish with spring onions or Jalapeno. I did not have either of them so used green chilli.
- Make sure it is nice and firm when baked in order to avoid crumbling
- Cut into medium size slices.