Summers call for pickle making I am a sucker for spicy pickle. My meal is incomplete without pickle. I have started making Instant pickle varieties at home and my family loves it. Here I am so excited to share one of the South Indian Pickle Powder from my family This is a versatile and flavorful powder as i use add it to the subzi , curry and dal. Home made spices are the best always for me.
Some facts about South Indian Pickle Powder
- This pickle powder is made with easily available ingredients at home .
- You just need 5 Ingredients to make this flavorful pickle spice
- Every household has their own version of the proportions of the ingredients used .
- You can use it to make instant pickle or even long lasting pickle
- Spice levels are to be adjusted as per your spice tolerance.
What is the theme for Shhhhh Cooking?
This month our host is Jayashree who suggested the theme Spice Mix. I just loved this theme and can’t wait to see all the amazing recipes of the spice mix shared by my fellow bloggers.Check out Jayashree’s blog as it has many amazing recipes. Check out her recipe for Pav Bhaji Masala for the theme. This month my partner is Sujata Roy who is a wonder blogger and an amazing baker with all the healthy recipes on her blog. She gave me two secret ingredients Turmeric and Fenugreek and I gave her Star Anise and Cardamom.Check out the amazing Pulao or Biryani spice mix that she has shared.
SOUTH INDIAN PICKLE POWDER
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Blender
- 1 Clean Storage Jar
- 30 Nos Byadgi Chilli / Kashmiri dry red Chilli
- 20 Nos Dry Red Chilli spicy Variety
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 Cup Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/4 Cup Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds
- 1.5 Tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Dry roast the dry red chillies for about 5-6 minutes. Ensure it does not burn.
- Transfer the contents to a plate and allow it to cool.
- In the same pan dry roast fenugreek seeds for a minute or two. It will slightly turn colour. Ensure it does not burn.
- Transfer the contents on to a plate and allow it to cool.
- In the same pan dry roast mustrad seeds untill they start to pop up.
- Allow it to cool.
- Blend all the roasted ingredients , turmeric and asafoetida to a fine powder.
- You can add salt if you wish to. I have not added it here as I am not making Pickle immediately.
- Transfer the contents to an airtight clean container and use it as needed.
- Home made pickle spice powder is one of the recipe my family uses .
- Some people add Cumin . You may dry roast 1/4 Cup and add it if you wish to.
- We like it without the Cumin.
- Adjust the no of chillies as per your spice tolerance.
- You can add salt and store it.
- I don’t add salt as i make it in small batches.
- Fresh and flavorful home made spice mix is the best.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.