A warm hello to all my readers. I am back after a hiatus. I am slow in blogging these days as my office is keeping me busy. Weekends are more hectic as we need to run errands and plan for the coming week. This week I am sharing a very delicious street food Firi Firi which is a Tahitian Donut and very popular. It is vegetarian and tastes absolutely amazing. Do try this one at home and I bet you will not be disappointed. I love street food and enjoying street food from around the world sounds so cool. I have tried many of them at home as now travel is slowly opening up.
Every country has its own popular street food and is very popular among their people. It has both vegetarian and Non -Vegetarian dishes. These days people are even finding vegan options to the popular street foods. Having the original ones is always the best. Hygiene is the key though . These days everyone is conscious about health and hygiene.Firi Firi (Tahitian Donut) is one such popular street food from Tahiti. It is a donut and in the shape of numeric 8. It is a coconut based donut.
What is the Shhhhhh Cooking theme this month?
I am hostess for November theme World Street Food and am so eager to check out the amazing street food recipes from around the world. Have learnt a lot last year when I was researching on the popular street foods around the world. My partner for the theme is Priya VJ who is an amazing blogger and has many amazing recipes on her blog. She gave me two secret ingredients icing sugar and yeast . I made these humble firi firi. She made delicious pizza with the two secret ingredients I gave her Oregano and Tofu. A fabulous treat forall pizza lovers .
FIRI FIRI (TAHITIAN DONUT)
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Piping Bag and nossle
- 2.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Lukewarm water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup icing Sugar
- 2.5 Tsp Dry Active Yeast
- Oil for Deep frying
- Add yeast , 1 Tsp sugar ,lukewarm water to a bowl. Mix it well and set aside.
- Let is sit till it gets frothy and the yeast is activated. Use good quality yeast.
- In a big bowl add All purpose flour ,coconut milk, sugar , and activated yeast mixture to form a thick batter .
- Cover it and let it rest for about 2 hours in a warm place.
- After 2 hours heat oil in a pan .Fill in the batter in the piping bag with nozzle .
- Transfer the icing sugar to a plate and keep it aside.
- Pipe the batter in the shape of numeric 8 in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter . Ensure the frying pan is not over crowded with donuts.
- Transfer the fried donuts on to a kitchen towel and drain excess oil if any.
- Roll the warm donuts in icing sugar and serve them warm with some coffee.
- Enjoy !!!!!!!!!
- You can use granulated sugar in case you do not have icing sugar.
- Use best quality yeast for good results.
- Quantity of sugar used here is just perfect for us. You may increase or decrease as per your sweet tolerance.
- If you can’t shape them as 8 just pipe them into 5″ long cylindrical shaped amd deep fry them.
- Serve warm with Coffee or Jam of your choice.
KLUAY KAEK / THAI BANANA FRITTERS
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
9 thoughts on “FIRI FIRI (TAHITIAN DONUT)”
I love these yummy doughnuts! The name Firi Firi and the doughnuts are new to me. I love the shape of Firi firi. Will make a small batch for Christmas.
Wow, super tempting. Wish I could grab one. They look so fluffy and am sure must be so soft too. Love donuts so am sure this is one recipe I will be trying out soon.
I love donuts and I believe these Tahitian ones are equally delicious. I would love the coconut milk flavor in them. Would love to give it a try.
My kids are looking at this pic and wanted me try this soon. They love donuts and this look perfect.
Wht a cute name, firi firi. I love the twisty style of the doughnuts. I am sure they are super delicious.
Yum! I love anything with coconut. These doughnuts sound heavenly and thanks for a great recipe. I am making it this weekend.
Lovely and fluffy donuts . The highlight in these firifiri are the use of coconut. I love anything that is coconut flavored..how I wish I can grab some.
Oh my, these Firi Firi look so delightful – I wish I could grab one straight off the screen! ❤️ The coconut milk must have made it all the more flavourful. I would definitely love to try out these sugar-dusted, fluffy beauties!
Love this donut from Tahiti… I would like to make sometime for breakfast.