Today I am sharing a very simple and nutritious recipe from North Karnataka. Few years I got an opportunity to taste this delicious dish and instantly fell in love with it. It is made with easily available ingredients at home. Make this on hectic days and serve with rice or roti. People allergic to nuts please avoid it. Shenga saaru / Peanut rasam is a quick and delicious accompaniment .It takes less than 25 minutes to whip up. Interesting right?…
MAIN INGREDIENTS FOR SHENGA SAARU / PEANUT RASAM:
- Roasted Peanuts: Roast the peanuts and remove the skin. De skinned peanuts give a nice texture to the rasam.
- Garlic Cloves: Garlic cloves enhance the taste of this rasam. It helps to reduce inflammation and has many health benefits.
- Green Chilli:Green chillies give some spice kick to the rasam. Increase or decrease the quantity as per your spice tolerance.
- Fresh Coriander: Fresh Coriander adds a nice aroma to the rasam. Use it for its health benefits.
- Fresh Curry leaves: Main ingredient for any rasam variety.
Some Rasam Varieties :
The list is huge. I am just mentioning some popular varieties here.
- Lemon Rasam
- Parappu Rasam
- Jeera Milagu Rasam
- Raw Mango Jeera Rasam
- Vattal Rasam
- Coconut Rasam
- Kalyana Rasam
- Garlic Rasam
What is the theme for Shhhhh Cooking?
December Month theme is suggested by the admins.We have to share Healthy recipes for this theme. Check out delicious Curried Chickpea stuffed Sweet Potato by Mayuri dee .My Partner is Meera .She gave me two secret Ingredients Peanut and Mustard . I whipped up this delicious Peanut rasam .Check out her recipe here.
SHENGA SAARU / PEANUT RASAM
- 1 Blender
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Cup Roasted and de skinned peanuts
- 6 Nos Green Chillies
- 1 Cup Fresh Coriander
- 2 Sprigs Curry leaves
- 10 Nos Garlic Cloves
- 2.5 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 No Lemon Sized Tamrind
For Tadka / Tempering
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1.5 Tsp Cumin / Jeera
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- Dry roast peanuts in a pan and remove the skin. Keep it aside
- In the same pan heat a tsp of oil. Add garlic and roast for a minute
- Add green chillies , coriander , tamrind and curry leaves . Mix and roast for a minute
- Turn off the heat.
- In a blender add roasted peanuts , garlic ,green chilli ,coriander, curry leaves and tamrind and blend to a fine paste.
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan . Add jeera , mustard and asafoetida. Once it splutters add the peanut mixture.
- Add turmeric ,salt and water to adjust the consistency.
- Turn of the heat once it starts to simmer.
- Garnish with some chilli flakes .This is completely optional.
- Serve with hot rice , pickle and sandige .
- There are many variations to this shenga saaru. This is one of the simplest recipe.
- Some add Tamrind and some don’t.
- Adding Fresh Coconut is completely optional.
- Adjust the number of green chillies as per your spice tolerance.
- Enjoy it as a soup if you wish too.
- If you are allergic to peanuts please avoid it.
- This recipe is perfect for my family.
Do follow my blog and Social media handles to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.