I am back with another traditional recipe from Karnataka . Menthesoppu / Fenugreek leaves Gojju is a lipsmacking side dish . Absolutely delicious and nutritious recipe with fresh fenugreek leaves. It is super quick and easy recipe. This recipe from the Hoysala karnataka Brahmin community.Serve it with rice or rotis.Try when you are bored of the regular dishes. It is soul satisfying . Try it to believe me.
Health Benefits of Fresh Fenugreek leaves / Menthesoppu
- 1. It is rich in Antioxidant
2.It is good for bone health
3. Fenugreek leaves -enriched with Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Beta Carotene.
4.Helps to increase immunity
5.Fenugreek leaves is good for gut health, colon and stomach ulcers, intestinal inflammation and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Benefits of having green leafy vegetables in our diet during winter:
During the winter season fresh greens and vegetables flood the market . It is a wonderful sight to behold. We love Kale , Fenugreek , Spinach varieties , Mustard greens ,Radish leaves to name a few. I love to cook traditional recipes from these greens and enjoy the winters. We get so many types of greens here, some imported and some locally grown.We include them in our diet very often .Stir fry greens are so delicious and easy to make. Home cooked meals are the best.
MENTHESOPPU / FENUGREEK LEAVES GOJJU
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Blender
For Masala Powder
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts roasted with 2 drops of oil
- 12 Nos Dry Red Chillies (Byadgi Variety)
- 4 Tsp Freshly Grated Coconut
For the Gojju
- 2 Cups Roughly Chopped Fresh Fenugreek
- 4 Tsp Oil
- 1 No Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 4 Nos Tomatoes finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Water
For Masala Powder
- Dry roast the peanuts in 2 drops of oil for about a minute.
- Now add the dry red chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Lastly add freshly grated coconut and saute for 40-50 seconds until the raw smell is gone.
- Allow it to cool completely and pulse all the ingredients into a slightly coarse powder.
- Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan.
- Add mustard seeds and dry red chilli.
- Once the mustard splutters add the roughly chopped fresh fenugreek leaves.
- Saute for about 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the finely chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are nice and mushy.
- Add the peanut masala powder and mix well.
- Add salt and water to adjust the consistency.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve with Piping hot rice and pickle or roti.
Do follow my blog and Social media handles to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.