What is a Paratha?Paratha is a flatbread from the Indian Subcontinent.The paratha is an important part of a traditional breakfast from the Indian subcontinent. Traditionally, it is made using ghee but oil is also used. We can even bake it in an oven. Stuffings are infinite and ranges from vegetables , dry fruits and lentils. It can eaten for breakfast , lunch and dinner too. It is a very popular dish from the northern India .It is served with thick yogurt ,dollop of butter and pickle. The aroma of these delicious parathas are irresistible. Some parathas are specific to a region.
Some Benefits of eating Moong Dal:
- It is rich in Vitamin A, B, C and E and also in many minerals including iron, calcium, and potassium.
- Easily Digestible and helps in weight loss when eaten in moderation.
- It is good to control Blood Sugar
- It has Anti Fungal and Anti Bacterial Properties.
https://preethicuisine.com/masala-roti-gluten-free/ Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
MOONG DAL MASALA PARATHA
Delicious and wholesome dish with the goodness of Lentils and spices. It is filling and easy to make.
- Wide Bottom Pan
- Tawa / Griddle
- Bowl to Knead the Dough
- 2 Cup Whole wheat Flour
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Water to bind the dough
- Pinch of Salt
- Ghee for cooking each Paratha
- 1 Cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Cumin / Jeera
- 3/4 Tsp Saunf
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Nos Fresh Red Chillies
- 1/2 Tsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Amchur Powder / Dry Mango Powder
For Stuffing :
- Soak Moong dal for 3 hours and then completely drain the water.
- Heat a wide bottom pan. Add oil.
- Now add jeera , saunf and soaked moong dal and roast until all the moisture has evaporated for about 10 minutes.
- Now add ginger garlic paste , turmeric , amchur powder ,salt and fresh red chillies.
- Roast for another 10 minutes untill the mixture is totally dry. Allow it to cool completely.
- Blend this to get a coarse mixture. Transfer the contents to a bowl.
Prepare the Dough:
- Add salt and oil to the wheat flour and mix . Slowly add water to combine all the ingredients to form a supple dough. Knead it for about 5 minutes .
- Smear some oil on the dough and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
Stuffing the paratha
- Take a small ball of dough and make a cavity (shape like a cup).
- Add a tsp of the stuffing and seal all the sides.
- Repeat the process for the balance dough . Do not over stuff it.
Cook the Paratha
- Using a rolling pin roll the stuffed dough balls into a flat disc. It should not be too thin .
- Cook the rolled discs on the pre heated tawa/ griddle untill the brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Smear ghee on both the sides ,press gently with a spatula and cool till both the sides are uniformly cooked.
- Serve with Yogurt or butter and Pickle or shallow fried masala chillies.
- You can mix plain flour and whole wheat flour in equal quantities.
- You can use green chillies instead of red chillies.
- You can even use left over dal .
- Try this recipe without substituting any ingredient . I am sure you will love it.