What are benefits of black chickpeas?Black chickpeas or kala chana is an excellant source of protein. As they are
low in fat, high in dietary fiber and rich in iron ,vitamins and minerals it is widely used by Vegeatarians. They help to lower cholestrol.They are a power house of benefits.It also helps to treat digestive disorders.Do add this to your diet regulary to reap various health benefits.
What is 252nd Foodiemonday Bloghop Theme?This week theme was suggested by our Co Blogger Mayuri Patel who is a versatile blogger.Do check out her space for many amazing bakes and recipes. I have a lot of recipes to try from her blog especially bakes and gujarati recipes.I have bookmarked her Semolina Sesame seed bread and Mango Sriracha Hummus.
Recipes for Khatta Kala Chana / Black chickpea Curry:
- 1 Cup boiled Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Spinach
- 3 Garlic Pods finely chopped
- 1″ Ginger Finely Chopped
- 4 Tomatoes Pureed
- 1 Large Onion Very Finely Chopped
- 3 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Tamrind Pulp
- 1/2 Tsp Kasuri Methi for Garnish
- 1/4 Tsp Chilli Falkes for Garnish
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- Soak the black chickpeas for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the black chickpeas with salt and water upto 4 Whistles.
- In a blender puree the tomatoes and green chillies.Keep it aside.
- Heat a wide bottom pan. Add oil.Throw in the jeera and mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter add finely chopped Ginger and Garlic.Saute for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and roast until they turn brown. Next add the chopped Spinach.
- Mix well and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add chilli powder, cumin powder ,coriander powder, curry powder and garam masala.
- Add the tamrind pulp and cook the masala untill the oil starts to leave the sides.
- Once the masala is cooked add the tomato chilli puree and mix again.
- Add boiles chickpeas along with 1/2 cup water. Add salt to taste and let is simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Kasuri methi and Chilli Flakes and serve hot with Roti, rice or Phulkas.