Masala Akki Poori / Rice flour poori is a delicious dish from Karnataka . One of the easiest and yummiest breakfast. Rice flour poori is gluten free. The masala enhances the taste of these pooris.The masala may vary . I have grown up eating these delicious pooris with coconut chutney , sagu , potatao masala . Today i served these yummy pooris with tomato yogurt chutney . It was a lovely combination.
Some Information of Rice Flour:
- Rice flour is usually made from milling washed and sun dried rice.
- Used as thickening agent in recipes.
- Used to make confections like rice cakes, macaroons and some types of buns due to the texture and flavor.
- Glutinous rice flour –widely used in Chinese and Japanese dishes.
- Used in many parts of India to make a variety of dishes.
- It is made from either brown rice or white rice.
Masala Akki Poori / Rice flour Poori is one of my most favorite dish. Check out another poori recipe from my blog here. My family just loves these delicious poori . It is much better than the regular wheat flour poori.
MASALA AKKI POORI / RICE FLOUR POORI
- 1 Blender
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Slotted Spoon
- 1 Chopping Board and Knife
- 1.5 Cups Rice Flour
- Oil for Frying
- 120 Ml Water to knead the dough
- 1 No Chopped Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Coconut
- 4 Nos Green Chillies
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
- 1 Inch Ginger Chopped
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- Blend chopped onions , jeera, salt , freshly grated coconut , fresh coriander , ginger and green chillies into a smooth paste . Do not add water to grind .
- Add flour to the mixing bowl.
- Transfer the blended paste to the mixing bowl. Mix well .
- Gradually add water and knead to get a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in the frying pan . In meantime lets roll the poori.
- Make medium size balls from the dough. Cover the dough as it should not get dry.
- Grease your palms with some oil and flatten the ball evenly using your palm. You can also keep the dough between two sheets of plastic or zip lock bags and then roll gently with a rolling pin or press with a flat bottom cup to get a round poori.
- The rolled pooris should not be too thick or too thin.
- Remove the rolled poori and slid them into the hot oil.
- Then gently press and nudge the poori, in circular motion so that the poori puffs completely.Fry untill both the sides are nicely done
- Remove the poori and drain them on the paper towel to remove excess oil if any.
- Serve with sagu, coconut chutney , any kind of dal or curry . I serve it with tomato and curd chutney .
- Adjust the chilli as per your spice tolerance
- You can add chilli flakes .
- You can add coriander powder , jeera and saunf to the poori .
- You can add only fresh coconut , chilli and coriander too.
- This is the way my family loves it .
- Green chilli can be substituted by red chilli or chilli flakes.
Ammini Kozhukkattai by Priya Vj.
Do follow my blog and Social media handles to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.