I am back with another yummy dish today. It has been a while since I posted a recipe as I had taken a short break to spend time with my family.My older son was visited us after an year .We spent quality time with our children and my parents who are with me here. Hence took a break from blogging . Now I am back to the routine as all have returned to their respective places. Office is keeping me busy but I will try to post regularly for all my lovely readers , friends and family.
What is Kheer?
Kheer also known as Payasam is a kind of pudding from the Indian Sub Continent. It Is usually made by boiling milk, sugar or jaggery, and rice, although rice may be substituted with one of the following: Lentils, bulgur wheat, millet, tapioca, vermicelli, or sweet corn. It is typically flavored with desiccated coconut, cardamom, raisins, saffron, cashews, pistachios, almonds, or other dry fruits and nuts. It is prepared on all auspicious occasions. There are so many varieties of Kheer these days. I love kheer made with lentils and also with rice. It is so rich and creamy .
Can you make Moong Dal and Sabudana Kheer Vegan ?
The answer is Yes. You can swap the regular full fat milk with any nut based milk . You should also skip ghee . Always remember to polish off any Indian meal with a bowl of rich and creamy Kheer. I bet you will love it.
MOONG DAL AND SABUDANA KHEER
- 1 Heavy Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Blender
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1/2 Cup Moong dal
- 1 Tbsp Sabudana / Tapioca Pearls
- 5 Cups Milk boiling hot
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 8-10 Strands Saffron strands
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Dry fruits powder Slightly Roast Cashews ,Almonds, Makhana in equal quantities(1 cup each) and Poppy seeds 1/2 Cup and allow it to cool . Grind them to fine powder and store it in an air tight Container and refrigerate .Use as and when needed.
- 1 Tbsp Roasted Cashews
- 1/2 Tsp Roasted Raisins
- Soak the saffron strands in 1 tbsp milk. Heat ghee in a pan and roast the cashews and raisins and keep it aside.
- Lightly roast the Moong dal and Sabudana and then pressure cook with required amount of water upto 2 whistles.
- Boil the dry fruits powder , boiled moong dal and sabudana mix and sugar with 2.5 cups of water . Once it starts to simmer add boiled milk.
- Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Pour the soaked saffron strands and milk over the Kheer. Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins.
- Serve warm or chilled as per your preference.
- Dry fruits powder can be made in advance and stored in an air tight container.
- Increase the quantity of milk to adjust the kheer consistency if required.
- Increase the sugar quantity if you like it too sweet.
- You can substitute sugar with jaggery.
- You can add pistachios if you like.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.