Some Facts about Horsegram:
- High in Fiber
- Horsegram is a legume native to tropical southern Asia,
- It is grown for horse feed and human consumption
- It is also used in Ayurvedic cuisine.
- Rich in Proteins
- Contains Essential Vitamins and Minerals
- Great source of energy
- Rich in AntiOxidants
- It was first domesticated in India
- It is known by various names in different parts of India
Horsegram Sundal / Kollu Sundal for Navratri Celebration:We make different varieties of Sundal during Navratri. You can check out variety of Sundal recipes, and other dishes for Navratri on my blog. This recipe is perfect in case you are looking for last minute recipes. It is always quick and easy to make. Being a working woman my recipes are quick , easy and very delicious. The excitement is so high during these 9 days.
Horsegram Sundal / Kollu Sundal is a great protein recipe for vegans or vegetarians. Just use coconut oil in the tempering and skip Asafoetida to make it vegan. You can have it as soup also. Horsegram is very rich and nutritious and a great source of energy. All dishes cooked are without onion and garlic.
https://preethicuisine.com/sabakki-balehannu-payasa/ https://preethicuisine.com/paal-halwa-doodh-halwa/ Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
HORSEGRAM SUNDAL / KOLLU SUNDAL
Navratri Special Recipe
- Pressure Cooker
- Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Cup Boiled Horse Gram Pressure Cook up to 2 whistles
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Coconut
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 10 Nos Curry Leaves
- 4 Nos Dry Red Chilli
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Tsp Chana Dal
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 2 Tsp Oil I have used Sun flower Oil
- Soak Horse gram for about 2 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked horse gram upto 2 whistles.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan.
- Add channa dal , urad dal ,curry leaves and mustard. Once the mustard splutters add dry red chilli ,turmeric and asafoetida. Mix well
- Now add the boiled horsegram and salt . Mix well.
- Lastly add grated coconut and mix again. Turn off the heat after 2 minutes.
- Serve as an offering to the Goddess and then serve it to the family and enjoy.
- Soak horse gram for 2 hours
- Always add freshly grated coconut.
- Use dry red chilli for better flavor and taste