Paratha or flatbread is a very popular dish from the northern part of inida . We have so many varieties of paratha.Wach one has its own unique taste and flavor. Today I am sharing Coriander Garlic Paratha with some secret ingredients which enhance the flavor and taste. It is very easy and quick to make . We enjoyed it with some authentic chole. It was finger licking good. My family is a huge fan of paratha.
Main Ingredients for Coriander Garlic Paratha:
- Whole Wheat Flour : Use the best quality whole wheat flour to make parathas.
- Sattu Flour:Adding sattu flour gives a nice flavor and enhances the taste.It consists of a mixture of ground pulses and cereals.It is a great source of protein.
- Fresh Coriander:Wash the coriander nicely , dry it and then finely chop.
- Garlic: You can finely chop it of mince it. I have minced the garlic to get the full flavor.
- Ajwain / Carom Seeds: Carom seeds aids digestion and also enhances the flavor and taste of the paratha.
- Chutney Powder: Chutney powder is the star ingredient and should not be skipped. I have used home made Chutney Powder.
- Salt to taste:I have used himalayan pink salt. You can use any iodised salt.
- Fresh Green Chilli: Adds mild spice to the parathas. You can skip it if you plan to feed young kids.
- Yogurt : I have used home made thick yogurt here.It is not sour.
- Water: Add water only little by little to knead the dough if needed.
- Oil:I have used oil to shallow fry the paratha . You can use ghee instead of oil.
What Is Paratha ?
Paratha is a flatbread from the Indian Sub Continent. Traditionally Parathas are made using ghee but oil can also be used. The Punjabi method is to stuff parathas with a variety of stuffings. A Rajasthani mung bean paratha uses both the layering technique together with mung dal mixed into the dough. It can be eaten for breakfast or served as a main course for lunch or dinner. It is traditionally served with a dollop of white butter and pickle or with pickle and curd .It can be served with Raita ,curries and Dal . There are different techniques to make stuffed and layered paratha.
What is the theme for Shhhhh Cooking?
This month our Hostess is Anu. She suggested the theme flatbreads. Check out what she has made for the theme here.My partner for this theme is Sasmita who blogs at Firsttimercook. She is an amazing blogger and a fabulous photographer too. Sasmita amazes me by her traditional recipes that are so simple and nutritious. She gave me two ingredients ajwain and chutney powder.I gave her flour and salt. She made these delicious Janta Roti. My humble contribution is Coriander Garlic Paratha.
CORIANDER GARLIC PARATHA
- 1 Large Mixing bowl
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 Iron Skillet
- 1 Spatula
- 2 Cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp Sattu Flour
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Coriander
- 6 Nos Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Nos Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Carom seeds / Ajwain
- Salt To taste
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Water as required to knead the dough
- 2 Tsp Chutney Powder
- Oil to shallow fry the paratha
- In a large bowl add whole wheat flour and sattu flour and mix well.
- To this flour mix add salt ,finely chopped fresh coriander , minced garlic ,Carom Seeds,chutney powder ,finely chopped green chillies and mix again.
- No add yogurt and knead the dough. Add water little by little if needed.
- Knead to get a soft smooth dough.Allow it to rest for 20 mins.
- Divide the dough into equal parts and keep it covered. Heat the skillet.
- Take a dough ball. Flatten it and roll evenly using a rolling pin into a round shape.
- Dust with dry flour if needed while rolling.
- Place the rolled paratha on the hot skillet. Cook the side for a minute.
- Now flip it and add smear some oil on the half cooked side. Flip again .
- Now smear oil on this side as well and press with a spatula and cook on both sides until you see some golden brown spot on both sides.
- Repeat the process for the balance dough.
- Serve with pickle ,curd ,curry ,raita or dal of your choice.
- Adding Sattu flour is optional. But i would suggest to add it.
- Adjust the no of green chillies as per your choice.
- Ensure to add water little by little as need to get a smooth soft dough.
- You can also make a smooth paste of coriander and chilli and add the paste to the dough.
- You can use ghee for shallow frying.
- I have used home made chutney powder. You can use store bought in case you don’t have home made.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.