A warm hello to all my followers and friends . Finally I am back after a hiatus. Finally my kitchen is fully operational now and excited to share some new recipes with all of you. I am sure you all missed me . I am sharing a very flavorful and aromatic Roasted curry powder from Srilanka . Srilankan Roasted Curry powder is ready in just 5 minutes. Yes you heard me right . The ingredients are easily available in our pantry.
What is Curry Powder:
Curry powder is a spice blend which originated from the Indian Sub continent. It varies from place to place and each spice blend is unique in its own way.Curry powders give a robust flavor when added to any dish. Home made curry powders are the best as we can retain the freshness of the spice blend .It is preservative free too. Curry powder are used in making both vegetarian and Non -vegetarian recipes.Roasted Curry leaves , mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds make this Srilankan Roasted Curry powder very unique.
Ingredients for Srilankan Roasted Curry Powder:
- Coriander seeds –This is one of the Base ingredient for any curry powder.
- Cumin– Cumin adds flavor and aids digestion
- Cardamom–Cardamom gives a nice aroma
- Black pepper–Black pepper adds heat to the curry powder
- Fenugreek seeds–It is added For the flavor
- Curry Leaves–Curry leaves enhances the flavor and aids digestion
- Uncooked Rice–Rice adds thickness to the curry
- Fennel Seeds–Fennel seeds Helps to build flavor profile and aids digestion
- Mustard Seeds–Mustard seeds add a unique flavor to the curry powder
- Cloves–Cloves enhance the aroma of the curry powder
What is the Shhhhhh Cooking theme this month ?
This month our host is Narmadha from NamsCorner who suggested that we share recipes from Srilankan Cuisine. She is an amazing blogger who juggles work and home . Do check her space for some traditional and international recipes.This month I am paired with Jayashree who is an immensely talented . Jayashree is a fabulous blogger and a very good poetess. She has recognition for her poems. She gave me mustard seeds and Fennel and i whipped this aromatic Roasted Curry Powder. I gave her green chilli and Curry leaf. She made beans stir fry with coconut milk.Do check it out here.
SRILANKAN ROASTED CURRY POWDER
- 1 Pan
- 1 Blender
- 2 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 4 Tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp Uncooked Rice
- 5 Nos Cloves
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper Corns
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 5 Nos Cardamom Pods (shelled)
- 1/2 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- Place a wide bottom steel pan on medium heat.
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned above. I have roasted them all together untill you get the aroma and mustard starts to splutter.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Blend the roasted ingredients into a fine powder. Store in an airtight container and it stays fresh .
- Use it to make curries or for marination and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.