I have always been amazed by this South Asian Island Country Srilanka. It is a beautiful country with a rich culture which is mainly influenced by Buddhism and Hinduism. They have many Beautiful places and breathtaking beaches.People here belong to the four major ethnic groups – Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims and Burghers. Today I am sharing a recipe from this wonderful country which is insanely delcious and flavorful Srilankan Raw Mango Curry.
What is Srilankan Cuisine?
Srilanka has some amazing food that displays the essence of local culture. Dishes include rice and curry, pittu, kiribath, wholemeal roti, string hoppers, wattalapam (a rich pudding of Malay origin made of coconut milk, jaggery, cashew nuts, eggs, and spices including cinnamon and nutmeg), kottu, and hoppers. Jackfruit may sometimes replace rice. Traditionally food is served on a plantain leaf or lotus leaf. I love their Raw mango curry. This Country has adapted its food culture into a blend of different curry concoctions and delicious dishes. Fish and Coconut are widely used here due to the tropical climate.
What is the HWCG theme?
This recipe is my humble contribution to our 89th HWCG Theme #TangoWithMango. The theme is suggested by our fellow blogger NamsCorner who is a wonderful blogger and many delicious recipes on her blog. I have bookmarked her Biscuit Cake and Pongal Kuzhambu. Do check her space.
2.Mavina Hannu Seekarne by Jayashree 3. Mango Salsa by Sujata Roy 4. Instant Mango Chunda by Poonam 5. Raw Mango Chunda by Vanitha 6. Mango Mastani by NamsCorner 7. Mango Thokku by Ruchi Shah
Recipe for Srilankan Raw MangoCurry:
- 3 Green Mangoes chopped into cubes
- 1.5 Red Onion
- 2 Red Chillies (You may use green ones as well )
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Freshly grated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Vinegar
- 1.5 Tsp Curry Powder
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1.5 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Wash the raw mangoes and dry them. Slice them into half, remove the seed and cut it length wise or into cubes.
- Heat a wide bottom Pan. Add mustard .Once it splutters add onion, and garlic. Shallow fry untill they turn golden.
- Blend the freshly grated coconut until smooth
- Add the chilli powder ,curry powder,water ,Turmeric sugar and salt . Allow it to simmer for a minute.
- Add the blended fresh coconut, coconut milk and mix well.
- Now add the mangoes ,fresh chopped chilli and vinegar and mix untill the mangoes are nicely coated with the spice mix.
- Allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes and keep checking every 5 minutes as the mangoes should become soft and not mushy.
- After 10 minutes taste the curry and add more sugar if needed to balance the flavors.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with Rice.
15 thoughts on “SRILANKAN RAW MANGO CURRY”
Love curries with coconut milk . Can imagine how flavorful this Srilankan Mango curry must have been. Bookmarking the recipe to try out soon.
This Raw mango curry is looking so flavorful and delicious. Want to grab it right away.
Wonderful recipe. Sounds so flavourful and delicious. So unique and lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing
Srilankan cuisine is always so close to my heart. This raw mango curry looks so delicious with richness of coconut milk.
Wow a new recipe for me. Raw mango curry looks so flavorful and delicious. Loved the use of blended fresh coconut and coconut milk in the curry. A must try recipe.
I love Sri Lankan food; just came back from a small holiday there before the pandemic struck and I feel so blessed to have visited such a beautiful place with simple, joyful people and a cuisine to die for!! This curry sounds very tempting dear! Will definitely try it soon! Coconut is the main ingredient in Konkani cuisine so this dish will definitely be a winner for me!
Loved this Srilankan mango curry, it sounds so delicious. I am bookmarking this to try some time in the future.
Srilankan curries are well known for its flavour. Looking at your picture, I can feel the aroma. I am sure it must have been very delicious with that coconut and spices. When I get my hands on to the Raw mango. Will try this curry for sure.
Love this unique curry with raw mango. I love coconut milk based curries. Will try this curry when I get raw mango.
Never tried Srilankan Raw Mango Curry…This looks so good…not too many masalas but curry looks so delicious
I love mango curries and this one with made in coconut milk does sound really inviting. Coconut adds its own sweetness therefore not requiring much added sugar. Lovely recipe Preethi.