I love to buy fresh green vegetables whenever I go vegetable shopping . Yesterday I found fresh Spring Onion near my place. I made some incredibly delicious Spring Onion Mixed Dal which I was craving for a while. It is one of the most flavorful and easy to whip up. Dal is a comfort food for me anytime . We love dal varieties at home. Lentils are a good source of proteins for Vegetarians . Adding some vegetables enhances the taste of the dal.
What is Spring Onion ?
Spring onions look similar to scallions, they have small onion bulbs at the base. These onions are basically more mature versions of scallions. You can make Parathas , Dals , Curries ,Sambar , Salads , Soups with Spring Onions. This is widely used in our cooking . It has Anti Bacterial and Anti Viral Properties. It is also known to aid digestion and has many other health benefits. Spring Onion Mixed dal is one of our hot favorites.
SPRING ONION MIXED DAL
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Heavy Bottom Pan
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cup Fresh Spring Onion Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 Cup Masoor Dal
- 2 Tsp Green Gram
- 3 Nos Green Chillies Finely Chopped
- 1 Inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Juice of Lemon
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera
- 2 Tsp Oil
- 1 No Green Chilli Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Finely chopped fresh Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Greens of the Spring onion
- Rinse the dal and soak Toor dal ,moong dal , masoor dal and green gram in enough water for 30 Mins.
- Pressure cook the Soaked dals and bean with Turmeric and 1/2 Tsp Oil upto 3 whistles.
- Finely Chop the green chillies , fresh ginger and spring onions.
- Heat the pan . Add butter and oil to it.
- Once the butter melts add jeera ,urad dal ,asafoetida and mustard seeds . Once it starts to pop up add the chopped chilli and ginger . Mix well.
- Add chopped spring onion and saute for 7-8 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the boiled mixed dal , salt and let it simmer for 8 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the heat . Pour the lemon juice and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan . Add jeera , red chilli powder ,chopped ginger greens of the spring onion and green chilli.
- Pour the hot tempering on the dal .
- Garnish with some fresh coriander or greens of the spring onion.
- Serve with hot Rice and Papad or with any Flat bread.
- You can make it with only one variety of dal if you wish too.
- Adding green gram is optional , but i would suugest not to skip it.
- You can add curd chilli or dry red chili for tempering instead of fresh green chillies.
- Adding chopped ginger to the tempering enhances the taste of the dal.
- Adjust the number of green chillies as per your spice tolerance. I have used mildly spicy ones here.
Dal Kebab by Priya VJ
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
7 thoughts on “SPRING ONION MIXED DAL”
Adding spring onions to dal is a great idea. Dal is always comforting and with spring onions, the flavor sounds outstanding!
What a lovely, flavourful dal! Love the idea of using green onion in dal – it must have added so much of a punch. Definitely trying this out the next time I get my hands on a good bunch of green onion.
Spring onion mixed dal looks delicious and healthy. I would love to have this nutritious dal with some steamed rice and baigan fry.
Mixed dal with butter and a generous amount of spring onions, that sounds really good. Got spring onions and making dal tomorrow. I’m going to make your version.
Mixed dal sounds so exciting. I grow a lot of spring onions so I am happy to have a bulk use for these.
Spring onions in dal sounds interesting. Sure must be adding a lot of taste and fragrance and perfect accompaniment to rotis 🙂
Spring onions in dal! Wow sounds yum. A flavourful yum dal on a dull rainy day is definitely what we need. Thanks making mine soo .