Health Benefits of Spinach :
- An excellent source of Vitamin K ,C ,A ,C and Folic Acid.
- Good source of Magnesium , Iron and B2.
- Vitamin K Promotes bone health.
- Wholesome meal when cooked with lentils
https://preethicuisine.com/mamidikaya-pappu-unripe-mango-dal/ Check out this Tomato dal recipe by Priya Iyer. Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
DAL PALAK / PALAKURA PAPPU
Andhra Style Palakura pappu is so nutritious and delicious. Easy to cook.
- Pressure Cooker
- Serving Bowl
- Tempering Pan
- 1 Cup Toor Dal
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal
- 3 Cups Chopped Baby Spinach
- 1 No Onion chopped
- 4 Nos Green Chillies Slit
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 No Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 6 Nos Crushed Garlic Pods
- 1 No Gooseberry size Tamrind
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to Taste
For Tempering / For Tadka
- 1 Tsp Cumin / Jeera
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Nos Fresh Red Chilies Slit
- 2 Nos Garlic Pods Crushed and roughly chopped
- 2 Tsp Ghee
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 Tsp Crushed Coriander / Dhania
- 1/4 Tsp Chana dal urad dal mix
- In a pressure cooker add washed dals ,Chopped Baby Spinach, chopped onions ,slit green chillies ,crushed garlic pods ,turmeric , 4 cups of water.
- In a small bowl add tamrind , chopped tomatoes and red chilli powder.Please this cup over the dal mix in the pressure cooker.
- Cook upto 3 whistles and keep it on low flame for about 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat. Open the cooker lid once all the pressure is released.
- Mash all the ingredients nicely .
- Add sugar and salt and mix well.
- Boil this mixture on medium flame for about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer this to a serving bowl.
- Heat ghee in the tempering Pan.
- Once the ghee us hot add garlic ,chana dal and urad dal mix. It will turn slightly brown add cumin , crushed coriander, slit red chillies and mustard .
- Lastly add Asafoetida and turn off the heat.
- Pour this tempering over the dal mix.
- Serve hot with hot rice and a dollop of ghee or phulka and Roti.
- You can use any greens in case you cannot get Palak.
- A mix of Toor dal and moong dal enhances the taste of the dal.
- Always use fresh Greens
- Crushed Coriander seeds are optional .You may skip it if you don’t like.
- Adjust the number of chilles as per your spice tolerance.
- Adding sugar balances the spice and sourness.
- Making it in pressure cooker saves a lot of time and also the nutrients are retained.