As we step into the new year with new hopes and aspirations ,I wish you all the very best. Today I am sharing a very quick and easy one pot SNAKE GOURD AND CAPSICUM DAL recipe that is so delicious and lip smacking . I have used small white Snake gourd here. It is so comforting when served with Steaming hot rice , carrot stir fry ,some papad and pickle. It is pouring in this part of the world everyday . On weekends this is my go-to meal as I enjoy with family.
Some Facts about Snake Gourd:
- It is a vine plant that climbs up a tree and then unfurls its flowers and fruits to hang down to the ground.
- It is known to be good for Digestion
- Due to high fiber content it is good for Digestive Issues.
- Snake Gourds are known to boost Immune system also helps to detoxify.
- Very easy to Cook
Some facts about Masoor Dal:
- Masoor dal is known to have many health benefits.
- It is known for good oral health
- It has Antioxidants ,Anti-inflammatory and Antimicrobial properties
- Masoor dal is also known to have high Fiber and Protein contents.
- It is also known to be good for Heart Health.
- Masoor dal works best for Snake Gourd and Capsicum Dal
SNAKE GOURD AND CAPSICUM DAL
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Small Pan for Tadka /Tempering
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cup Masoor Dal About 180 ML Cup
- 1 No Small White Snake Gourd Cut into Semi Circles About 200 ML Cup full
- 1 No Green Capsicum cut into medium chunks
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped fresh Coriander
- 1 Tsp Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger
- 2 Nos Green Chilies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder / Amchur Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 5 No Curd Chilies
- 1 Tsp Panch Phoran
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves (Optional)
- Soak Masoor dal for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 Cups water to the Pressure Cooker. Once it comes to boil add washed Masoor dal , chopped white snake gourd, fresh coriander , chopped fresh ginger , finely chopped green chilies. Close the lid
- Pressure cook upto 3 whistles.
- Once the cooker pressure is released , open the cooker lid , add salt and amchur powder, 1/4 Cup water. Turn on the heat and give it a nice mix and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Heat ghee in a small pan
- Fry the Curd chilies and once they are done , add Panch phoran and Asafoetida. Once the mustard seeds splutter ,turn off the heat .
- Pour this tadka / Tempering over the dal.
- Serve hot with Cooked Rice ,pickle and Papad / Sandige or any Indian Flat bread.
- This is a nutritious dal . You can use Moong dal or Toor Dal as well.
- A mix of all three dals also works fine
- You can use any variety Snake gourd .
- Ridge gourd also works fine .
- Do Not use Garlic in this dal. Flavors of Ginger is the highlight in this dal.
- I did not have Curry leaves hence not used. You can use it for tempering if you have.
- Do not miss the ghee in the tadka for elevating the flavors of this dal.
- If you add dal when the water starts to boil then the dal will not stick to the base of the cooker or burn. This is a very Important tip I had learnt from my mom.I directly boil dal and vegetables in the cooker sometimes.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.