It is blazing summer in many parts of the world. We have a mixed kind of weather .Sometime it pours non stop and some days are bright and sunny.We are always looking for recipes to spend less time in the Kitchen. I am sharing a very age old traditional recipe that is refreshing during summers. You just need 5 -10 minutes to whip up this delicious dish. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Serve with rice or ragi mudde or just drink it like soup.
What is Majjige Saaru / Buttermilk Rasam?
Majjige saaru is a simple and delicious tangy rasam with the goodness of buttermilk , coconut milk and very basic ingredients available in our kitchen. Chilli adds some spice kick to the rasam.This works well of you are hungry and there is no time to cook an elaborate meal or if you are bored og your regular curries or even if you have run out of vegetables.Slightly sour curd works best.
MAJJIGE SAARU / BUTTERMILK RASAM
- 1 Pan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Cup Tangy Buttermilk
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 No Medium Size onion finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 No Fresh red Chili
- 1/4 Tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Dried and crushed Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Cumin / Jeera
- 3 Tsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 No Fry chili broken into pieces
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- Add buttermilk ,coconut milk to a bowl and whisk well . Add salt mix and keep this mixture aside,
- Using a vegetable chopper I have very finely chopped the onion , green chili and ginger,
- Heat oil in a pan , Add jeera ,mustard and dry red chili . Once it splutters add finely chopped onion, ginger and chili. Saute until the onions turn translucent,
- Add asafoetida , haldi and . dried crushed coriander leaves and curry leaves . Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Once this mixture reaches room temperature pour the butter milk mixture and mix well.
- Serve with Rice or Ragi Mudde and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I have fresh red chili here. You can use green chili instead and increase or decrease the quantity as per your spice tolerance.
- In case you do not have butter milk mix half cup of sour yogurt and half cup water and whisk well.
- I add dry mango powder if the buttermilk is not so tangy.
- You can use fresh coriander leaves too.
- I don’t add garlic . It is completely optional and you can add if you like.
- I use curd chili sometimes for tempering,
- Don’t boil after adding buttermilk and coconut milk.
- In case you don’t have coconut milk you can also add fresh coconut ground to a fine paste.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.