Today I am back with a very Interesting and nutritious Chutney recipe. Winged Bean Green Tomato chutney is finger licking good and super addictive. This chutney can be served with idli,dosa,paniyaram or mixed with hot rice and ghee. I was always skeptical about this vegetable until I tasted it in a salad after reading the health benefits . Now I regularly use it in my diet. One of the best Chutney I have had till date.
What is Winged Bean?
Winged Bean is scientifically known as Psophocarpus tetragonolobus. It is also known as cigarillas, goa bean, four-angled bean, four-cornered bean, manila bean, princess bean, asparagus pea, dragon bean, is a tropical herbaceous legume plant. It is very popular in South Asia and South East Asia. It is known for disease resistance and is nutrient rich. The whole plant is edible.The winged bean plant grows as a vine with climbing stems and leaves. The leaves, flowers, roots, and bean pods can be eaten raw or cooked; the pods are edible even when raw and unripe. The seeds are edible after cooking. Each of these parts contains vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron, among other nutrients. The beans are not only rich in proteins but also rich in AntiOxidants. I love to have them in salads, stir fry and chutney.Winged Bean Green Tomato chutney is absolutely irresistible.
WINGED BEAN GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Knife
- 1 Mixer / blender
- 10 Nos Winged Beans chopped roughly with ends trimmed
- 2 Nos Fresh Green Tomatoes chopped roughly
- 1 Tbsp Fresh ginger chopped
- 2 Tbsp Freshly grated Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Urad dal
- 1/4 Lemon sized Tamrind
- 2 Tsp Jeera / Cumin
- Salt to Taste
- 6 Nos Fresh Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander Chopped
- 2 Tsp Oil
For Tempering / Tadka
- 1/2 Tsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 10 Nos Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera and urad dal .Once it turns golden brown add the chopped winged beans ,chopped ginger and chopped green tomatoes.
- Once the winged beans are slightly tender and tomatoes start to turn mushy add green chillies , salt , tamrind ,fresh coriander and grated coconut.
- Mix well for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan . Add channa dal and urad dal .Once they turn golden brown add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney and serve with Idli , Dosa ,Paniyaram or with Hot Rice and Ghee.
Tomato Chutney by Batter up with Sujata.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.