Today I am here with a very flavorful stew recipe from the Arican Cuisine. Ghanian Spinach chickpea stew usually has red meat or Tuna ,Mackerel and eggs added to it. This is a complete Vegan recipe that works perfect for all spinach and chickpea lovers. You will need only 45 minutes to whip up this delicious dish with minimal spices. My family just loved this dish. This dish can be made with easily available ingredients in our pantry. I was researching for recipes and finally settled on this one .
Ghanian Cuisine :
Ghana is located in Western Africa. Ghana is a multi-ethnic country with a diverse population, linguistic and religious groups. Majority of the population are Christians. It has a tropical climate and has wet and dry seasons. Ghanian Cuisine is rich with an assortment of soups and stews with varied seafoods, most Ghanaian soups are prepared with vegetables, meat, poultry or fish. Fish is a staple there. Rice is an established staple meal across the country, with various Rice based dishes serving as breakfast, lunch and dinner, the main dishes are waakye, plain rice and stew (Tomato gravy), fried rice and jollof Rice . Ghanian Spinach and Chickpea stew is one of the of the simple and flavorful dish I have tasted till date.
GHANIAN SPINACH CHICKPEA STEW
- 1 Wide Bottom Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Blender
- 1 Chopping Board and Knife
- 1/4 Cup Oil (Any neutral cooking oil will work)
- 3 Nos Garlic cloves minced
- 1 No Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp Freshly minced ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 Nos Red Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1.5 Cups Boiled Chickpeas
- 250 Gms Fresh Spinach finely chopped
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan. Add minced garlic, finely chopped onions and minced ginger and sauté for about 7-8 minutes.
- Onions will start to slightly brown and release the aroma. Now add in chilli powder and turmeric and mix well. Cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the fresh tomato paste and stir well for about a minute. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid. Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Now Add the finely chopped spinach, stir well and cover the lid. Let it cook for about 8 minutes untill the spinach wilts and combines well with the tomato puree.
- At this stage you can blend this into a fine paste if you wish too. I did not blend as like it that way.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas and salt and give it a good mix. Cover the lid and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with Rice (White or brown) , Yams ,Plaintains, Kenkey (Fermented ground white corn ) or Taro Root.
- You can increase the quantity of chilli powder as per your spice tolerance.
- You can use frozen spinach if you cannot source fresh ones.
- Canned Chickpeas can be used in case you do not have boiled chickpeas.
- Tomato paste can be store bought too but I always prefer homemade.
- You can use any neutral cooking oil.
- This can be whipped with basic simple ingredients at home.
If you try my recipe and love it , then please share some pictures of your dish with me. Kindly rate the recipe below, and give your valuable feedback in the comment section.
Don’t forget to tag me with the pictures on my social media handles.Do follow my blog and Social media handles on Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Pinterest to get an update on the latest recipes.The more you share the more I will Smile. Thank you for your encouragement and support.