Masala Powders form an integral part of Indian Cooking. Thanks to my mom who introduced me to this Multipurpose Masala Powder. Being a working professional this masala makes my life easier. I have it handy all the time.I can cook varieties in a jiffy.
I use it to make Puliogre Rice, Gojju (Sweet tangy gravy from Karnataka) and Gojju Avalakki / Tangy Beaten Rice or Poha.
I am going to share my Mom’s recipe today.
Recipe for Multipurpose Masala Powder:
1. Roasted and powdered Black Sesame Seeds 50 Gms
2. Roasted and powdered White Sesame Seeds 150 Gms
3. Roasted and Powdered Tamrind 150 Gms
4. Roasted and powdered Cumin / Jeera 1.5 Tsp
5. Roasted and powdered Fenugreek/ Methi 3/4 Tsp
6. Hing 1/4 Tsp
7. Dry Coconut Grated and powdered coarsely 200 Gms
8. Rasam Powder 8 Tsp
All the above need to be roasted and powdered separately.
For Tadka/ Seasoning
Mustard Seeds / Rai 1 Tsp
Channa Dal / Split Bengal Gram 2 Tsp
Urad Dal/ Split Black Gram 2 Tsp
Handful Curry Leaves
Dry Red Chilli 5-6
Peanuts 100 Gms
Jaggery finely grated 1 Tbsp
Oil 100 ml
Salt to Taste
Heat the oil in a pan. Add Channa dal ,Urad dal ,Peanuts and roast for 1 min on medium flame. Add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, grated jaggery, curry leaves and salt.Mix well and switch off the flame. Mix all the ingredients from No 1 to No 8.
Store it in a airtight Container.